Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Offices of the Sacrum Romanorum Imperium Nationis Germanicæ.

HomeRegisterLog in

Arrival of Oscar

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Oscarlebon

Arrival of Oscar Empty
PostSubject: Arrival of Oscar   Arrival of Oscar EmptyMon Aug 09 2021, 15:17

Oscar arrived for the interview, according to instructions he previously received by letter. He presented himself at the entrance.

Greetings, I'm Oscar le Bon and I kindly request an audience with sir Fedele Cristoforo Bastiano Ferrari, who expects me for an interview regarding the Imperial translation service.
Back to top Go down
Fedele Ferrari

Fedele Ferrari

Arrival of Oscar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arrival of Oscar   Arrival of Oscar EmptyMon Aug 09 2021, 23:05

As soon as Fedele was informed of the arrival of the new candidate, he left his office and went to the Reception to personally greet the guest.

He approached him and said: "Welcome to Strasbourg! I am Fedele Cristoforo Bastiano Ferrari, the Head Translator of the Imperial Scriptorium. It is a pleasure to finally meet you in person! I hope you had a pleasant journey. Have you had the chance to visit Strasbourg, yet?"

He smiled at him and said: "Would you please follow me?"
He guided him to a small room nearby where they could have some privacy and silence.

He then asked him: "You mentioned in your letter that you are interested in becoming an Imperial translator" -he smiled again- "Would you like to tell me anything else about you? Could you please tell me more about you?"

Arrival of Oscar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arrival of Oscar   Arrival of Oscar EmptyTue Aug 10 2021, 10:18

Oscar greeted Fedele with a friendly smile.

Thank you very much, it's nice to be here and meet you in person. The pleasure is all mine. Yes, the journey was pleasant and this is actually my first visit to the city of Strasbourg.

Oscar then followed Fedele to the meeting room.

That is correct, I'm generally interested in languages and so I thought I might be useful to the Empire by offering my services and my knowledge. This could be an opportunity to gain new experience and also learn something new.
He smiled.
Something more about me? Well, I'm living in the charming city of Nancy, the capital of the picturesque Duchy of Lorraine, where I lead a rather peaceful life of an agricultural producer, occasional merchant and an avid reader who spends considerable amount of time in my library.

Would you like to tell me more about you, your experiences while working in the translation team, the atmosphere? Hearing your first-hand experiences and impressions would be precious to me. I hope you don't mind my curiosity.

He smiled, genuinely interested to learn more.
Back to top Go down
Fedele Ferrari

Fedele Ferrari

Arrival of Oscar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arrival of Oscar   Arrival of Oscar EmptyWed Aug 11 2021, 00:19

Fedele nodded at him and kept smiling.

"Well, I've been a member of the Scriptorium for years" -he answered- "And I still enjoy coming to work. Translating may be a difficult task and some announcements may be more challenging than others, but we are a team. Being part of a group is central to our job"

He added: "And this brings me to our next question: do you like working in a group? How do you perform in a team?"

Arrival of Oscar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arrival of Oscar   Arrival of Oscar EmptyWed Aug 11 2021, 16:19

Oscar listened to what Fedele had to say and then smiled.

It's refreshing to see someone being so enthusiastic about his work even after many years.

Yes, as a matter of fact I enjoy working with other people and I don't have any problem with that, given that I'm very adaptable and co-operative. As long as the atmosphere in the team remains friendly and harmonious, of course. I trust that's the case with your translation team.
Back to top Go down
Fedele Ferrari

Fedele Ferrari

Arrival of Oscar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arrival of Oscar   Arrival of Oscar EmptyThu Aug 12 2021, 11:39

"Well, that's good to know" -Fedele said- "And I can also sense your enthusiasm, which is great as well!"

He then handed him a document and added: "This is the Charta of the Imperial Scriptorium. Please, read it carefully and ask me your questions (in case you have them) and really tell me if there's anything coming up to your mind?"

Charta of the Imperial Scriptorium:

Arrival of Oscar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arrival of Oscar   Arrival of Oscar EmptyThu Aug 12 2021, 22:58

I feel that enthusiasm is a trait we have in common, so I hope we would have the opportunity to work together.

Oscar accepted the document and carefully read it.

Thank you, I have read the Charter and it seems to be very clear in defining the role of the institution, as well as the rights and duties of its members. Well, I do have one question though. When do I begin?

Oscar couldn't prevent an optimistic grin on his face.
Back to top Go down
Fedele Ferrari

Fedele Ferrari

Arrival of Oscar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arrival of Oscar   Arrival of Oscar EmptyFri Aug 13 2021, 16:07

"Well, I'm confident you will join us very soon" -Fedele answered- "But I first have an exercise for you. Would you mind translating this old announcement? I'll then inform the Imperial Spokesperson of this interview and I'll let you know"

Announcement:

Arrival of Oscar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arrival of Oscar   Arrival of Oscar EmptySun Aug 15 2021, 00:15

No problem, just give me some time to translate the document.
Once the translation is finished, Oscar hands the document to Fedele.
Here is the translation and I also used the official appellations for the imperial nobles, although in the official French version there are two different appellations used for the "High Born", so I used them both alternatively, even though it's not clear which one is actually correct for this particular old announcement. However, for future announcements the titles can be verified, so as to ensure the use of the proper appellation.
I hope you will be satisfied with the translation though

Oscar smiled.

Announcement:
Back to top Go down
Fedele Ferrari

Fedele Ferrari

Arrival of Oscar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arrival of Oscar   Arrival of Oscar EmptyTue Aug 17 2021, 14:28

Fedele took the document and said: “You can find the proper appellations here

He then called someone from outside the room: “I hope you do not mind if I have your translation checked by some French-speaking people. I’m afraid my knowledge of French is not good enough”

Arrival of Oscar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arrival of Oscar   Arrival of Oscar EmptyTue Aug 17 2021, 23:17

No problem, feel free to verify whatever you have to.
Back to top Go down
Fedele Ferrari

Fedele Ferrari

Arrival of Oscar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arrival of Oscar   Arrival of Oscar EmptyWed Aug 18 2021, 10:25

"Well" -said Fedele- "You did a very good job. But before I give you the keys, what do you think of these suggestion?"

Quote :
1) Président Ad Interim de la Diète Impériale>> Président de la Diète Impériale Ad Interim;
2) Nous sommes convaincus que ces personnes sauront gérer les responsabilités que notre décision apporte>> Nous sommes convaincus que ces personnes seront en mesure de gérer les responsabilités que notre décision entraîne;
3) Décembre de cette année de Grace MCDLXIV>> Décembre de l'an de Grâce MCDLXIV

Then he smiled and said: "Anyway, congratulations! You are now a member of the Imperial Scriptorium! Please, do always keep in mind the Charta that I showed you!"

He then stood up and handed him the keys.

Arrival of Oscar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arrival of Oscar   Arrival of Oscar EmptyThu Aug 19 2021, 22:20

I think those are good suggestions.

He smiles and accepts the keys handed to him.

Thank you very much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Arrival of Oscar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arrival of Oscar   Arrival of Oscar Empty

Back to top Go down

Arrival of Oscar
Page 1 of 1