Offices of the Sacrum Romanorum Imperium Nationis Germanicæ.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Meeting with the Chancellor

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Puzzler

PostSubject: Meeting with the Chancellor   Sun Oct 01 2017, 00:59

After a long wait in his home town because of some bureaucratic issues, Augustus finally got everything he needed for the Imperial Chancellor and came back to the Imperial Palace in order to meet him. He wrote and sent a lot of letters to him but he has never had the opportunity to meet the Chancellor in person.

Addressing to a guard inside the entrance hall, he said:

My name's Augustus Caesar Malaspina. Tell to His Excellency the Chancellor that I'm finally here, ready to meet him as we agreed.
Back to top Go down
Anthonis de Ligne

PostSubject: Re: Meeting with the Chancellor   Wed Oct 04 2017, 08:08

Anthonis was informed yet another gentleman was waiting for him. Anthonis walked up to the man.

Dear fellow, I understand you are not being seen yet, My name is Anthonis Philippe Nicolas de Ligne Borgia, Chancellor of the Holy Roman Empire. Please follow me and maybe we can have a chat in my office, but please do not slam the door, my stacks of dangerously stacked velums are still highly ordered.

~ Anthonis Philippe Nicolas de Ligne Borgia ~ Son of Emperor Raboude I ~ Chancellor of the Holy Roman Empire ~ Count of Neuenahr ~ Imperial Baron of Kuilenburg ~ Sir of Sliedrecht ~ Sir of Den Myl ~Dutch Ambassador ~  Married to Parel Elysia ~ Father to Pascual ~
Back to top Go down
Puzzler

PostSubject: Re: Meeting with the Chancellor   Wed Oct 04 2017, 23:59

Don't worry Chancellor, I will slam no door. I don't want to hurt anybody with those sheets of paper, they're already a danger for the one who is going to read them all!

And then, Augustus followed the Chancellor to his office.
Back to top Go down
Anthonis de Ligne

PostSubject: Re: Meeting with the Chancellor   Thu Oct 05 2017, 07:49

Anthonis guided him to his office, opened the door and gestured at the seat in front of the fire place. There was still wine waiting, left from the previous meeting. He asked a page to bring new goblets and pour wine.

Welcome to my office, and thank you for your interest to become an Imperial Ambassador, I like your enthusiasm. You mention that your highly interested in diplomacy, can you elaborate what experience you have in the field, and what diplomacy means for you?

And also, please, can you delve a bit deeper why you want to become an Imperial Ambassador and get even more involved with the affairs of the Empire?

Then the page enters to place new goblets on the table, Anthonis pours two goblets and sniffs the fine Italian wine while reclining into his seat.
[/quote]

~ Anthonis Philippe Nicolas de Ligne Borgia ~ Son of Emperor Raboude I ~ Chancellor of the Holy Roman Empire ~ Count of Neuenahr ~ Imperial Baron of Kuilenburg ~ Sir of Sliedrecht ~ Sir of Den Myl ~Dutch Ambassador ~  Married to Parel Elysia ~ Father to Pascual ~
Back to top Go down
Puzzler

PostSubject: Re: Meeting with the Chancellor   Thu Oct 05 2017, 22:45

Thank you for your kind and cozy welcome, Your Excellency. And, if I may say, this wine, well... there are no word to describe its pleasant flavour.

He said while he was taking a sip of that savoury wine.

But you asked me for some information about my experience and motivation, therefore I won't indulge any further.

I'm quite a young man, so my experience is obviously poor but, nonetheless, everything I've done so far let me grow wiser. I've been once the Constable of the Duchy of Modena and in that role I learnt a lot about myself and my communication and management skills due to the large number of people, foreigners and not, whom I talked to in order to build a network that could help me retrieving information for the sake of the Duchy. Taking care of good relationships was a priority for me.

Today, I'm a Judge and, if someone asked me what's justice for me, I'd say that, one thing for sure, it cannot be achieved just with punishment, because it is much more than that. In fact, I think that everyone has the fundamental right to redeem himself and the purpose of Justice is to guarantee that whoever is going to be condemned can understand the reasons lying behind this decision. Because again, words are important and diplomacy is all about being able to use them properly.

He then took another sip.

Your Excellency, I do believe that words and swords, except for a letter, are just the same because they can both be very dangerous and harmful if not correctly used. Therefore, I think you've already understood what I'm stating here: diplomacy is as powerful as having a huge army but, compared to the latter, the first is an act of civilization and the proof of the greatness of our people, of our Emperor and of the whole Empire... and I desire to represent all of it.

And then He stopped waiting for more questions.
Back to top Go down
Anthonis de Ligne

PostSubject: Re: Meeting with the Chancellor   Mon Oct 09 2017, 14:18

Anthonis smiles when hearing these words.

Words are indeed a powerful tool. A wrong word in diplomatic meeting can bring mean a threat of war, we have recently seen that as well. I appreciate eagerness, however in our job in the Imperial Chancellory there are regions where we have little contact with, where we see that months of hard work and investing time and effort into finding contact, or making a treaty, just sips away between your fingers. With no results.

I mean, I do not want to discourage you, and I hope I will not, I am just letting you know, some days, and sometimes some weeks you need a tough skin and endurance. We often see good people leave the Imperial Chancellory because they get discouraged over time. It hope we can train you well and you learn that you have a though skin. Important always is communication, we may not always have time, but we pledge to train you as best as we can, but if you need anything you need to speak up as well. That said...

Anthonis picks up a parchment that had laid on the table in front of him.

I am sure you are very aware of how a chancellory operates and the affairs of the Empire as a whole, but I must ask, since I ask it from every ambassador I interview.

Anthonis hands Augustus a parchment.

So, I'd like to show you a precise article of the Statute of the Imperial Chancellery:

Quote :

Article IV / About the permissions and obligations of members of the Chancellery

IV a) Permissions:
Can assume other imperial or provincial mandates as long as that do not interfere with their work as ambassador, after the Chancellor's consensus;
The Imperial Chancellery encourages the ambassadors to meet their counterparts in their foreign countries. This will be possible as long as the imperial ambassadors maintain their work for the Empire, their duty as a vassal and keep their home in the Empire.

IV b) Obligations:
A member of the Chancellery must be present and active in the Chancellery;
No information exchanged within the Chancellery should be disclosed;
An oath to the Empire and the Emperor will be given by each arriving member, and then, to each new Emperor;
Members of the Chancellery must show themselves worthy of their rank and of the trust that the Emperor has placed in them;
Every member must obey the orders given by the Chancellor.

From these words do you understand what are the duties of an imperial ambassador? And a another question, did you bring your proof of baptism?

Back to top Go down
Puzzler

PostSubject: Re: Meeting with the Chancellor   Mon Oct 09 2017, 23:26

Your Excellency, I can surely state that your words, which are undeniably not conforting, at least show to those who are willing to join the Chancellery, just like me, the truth we are eventually going to face as diplomats.

So, because of this, I thank you, since I believe that ambassadors should always be mentally prepared to the worst case scenario such as having no active counterpart, but on the other hand the fact that someone with experience in the Chancellery will help me, reassures me.

Then he looked at the parchment, and after he read it, he answered:

Everything is clear: what the Empire wants, the Empire will get.

He finally showed the parchment issued by the parish in Massa.

Back to top Go down
Anthonis de Ligne

PostSubject: Re: Meeting with the Chancellor   Yesterday at 08:20

Anthonis smiled and shook the man his hand.

Congratulation, I think you did well here and you communicate strongly. We would be happy to have you as Ambassador. We have a few regions in need of Ambassadors, but I could also ask you, though I may not be able to facilitate, which regions have your interest, and related that that, which languages do you master?

Back to top Go down
Puzzler

PostSubject: Re: Meeting with the Chancellor   Yesterday at 21:58

Thank you for your kind words and the opportunity you're giving to me, Your Excellency.

Augustus said, now happier and more relaxed than ever.

With regard to destinations, I have no particular preference but I can speak Italian (native) and fluent English. I also have a fair knowledge of French, if it could come in handy.
Back to top Go down

Meeting with the Chancellor
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1